Frequently Asked Questions
Close Window
What is Federal Work-Study?
The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.
Am I eligible for a work-study award?
How much aid you receive depends on such factors as your financial need, on the amount of other aid you'll receive, and on the availability of funds at your school. Unlike the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides every eligible student with funds, each school participating in any of the campus-based programs receives a limited amount of funds from the federal government for each campus-based program each year.

When that money is gone, no more awards can be made from that program for that year.

Each school sets its own deadline for students to apply for campus-based funds which is March 1st for The University of Montana. You may miss out on aid from these programs if you don't apply early.

How much will I make?
Your Federal Work-Study wages will be at least the current federal minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and the funding level of your school.
How will I be paid?
If you're an undergraduate, you'll be paid by the hour. If you're a graduate student, you will also be paid by the hour. No Federal Work-Study student may be paid by commission or fee. Your school must pay you directly at least once a month.
Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?
Both. If you work on campus, you'll usually work for The University of Montana. If you work off campus, your employer will be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest.
Can I work as many hours as I want?
No. The amount you earn can't exceed your total Federal Work-Study award and hours are limited. When school is in session work study students cannot work more than 19 hours per week.
Close Window

For more information, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid
Lommasson Center 218
(406) 243-5373