1. Application Materials and Deadline
The Linguistics Program admits applicants for Fall semester and requires that their files be complete by 15 February in order to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship. Files completed between 16 February and 1 April will be considered for Fall admission only.
Instructions for applying to the Graduate School are in the Applying for Admission section on this web site.
In addition to the application materials required by the Graduate School, the Linguistics Program also requires:
• A one-to-two page answer to the question, Why do I want to be(come) a linguist? Your response should include your educational background, qualifications for studying linguistics at the graduate level, and plans for using an advanced degree in your career.
• A résumé describing schools where you have studied, degrees you have earned, honors you have received (if any), any language(s) you use with degree of competence, and jobs you have held.
2. Program Requirements for Admission
• Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores. The Linguistics program prefers scores that are no more than five years old.
• Grade point average of at least 3.0 for all college work.
• An introductory course in Linguistics or its equivalent in language training (students who do not have such a course may be admitted provisionally and may not count such a class at UM as a course to satisfy degree requirements).
3. Assistantship Application
Applicants for teaching and research assistantships must submit normal application materials (see above) plus a piece of expository writing that shows the applicant's writing ability. 15 February is the deadline for fall semester awards.
4. International Students
See information in the International Admission section.
Also, please visit Graduate School's Website for admission information.
Social Science Building
The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, Montana 59812
Irene Appelbaum, Director
Phone: (406) 243-4837
Fax: (406) 243-4918
Related UM Sites
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812