The Sentinel of the Lake:
The FLBS Legacy
Researcher Sampling Logging
Established in 1899 by Dr. Morton J. Elrod,
the first biology professor at The University of Montana, the
Flathead Lake Biological Station is a place to study, understand
and appreciate the natural world; a place where the natural
environment is the textbook; and a site where local discoveries
have provided model solutions for challenges around the world.
Thousands of college students and hundreds
of scientists have gathered over the years at Flathead Lake
to learn first-hand how our research describes the intriguingly
diverse biota and jewel-like water quality of the watershed.
It is this tradition of teaching and learning,
originally begun by Professor Elrod that has lead to the Station's
legacy as the "Sentinel of the Lake."